Thursday, March 6, 2008

End of an Era

Tonight is C1's last night. We had a "blue house party". Our house is blue and he has always referred to it as "the blue house" hence the name of the party. It's the end of an era. Anywho, we did make your own pizza night which the kids LOVE. And we had some cake and I got each of the kids a balloon. Obviously, the focus was on C1 but we're trying not to completely discard C2 in all of this.

I made a scrapbook for C1 of his time here and ALL the things we've done (A LOT). I finally finished it about 2 hours before he got home. I must say I put a lot of effort into it and it's pretty cool. So I am hoping his new family gives him free access to it. I did his bedtime routine (Mary usually does his and I do C2's bedtime) so I included the scrapbook. He was definitely SUPER excited. I was pretty conscious to put mostly pictures that are just of him since I know that's what he likes and I figured that would make him happy to look at it instead of sad to miss us.

It was definitely hard when I went to put him in his bed, I was about to break down. We've been super aware to not cry in front of the kid. We're trying to relay that "his move" is a great and exciting thing so obviously crying would not help his transition. Luckily, I was able to leave the room before I lost it. As much as I've wanted to strangle the kid, my heart goes out to him. I know we're not failing him because he's going to a good home but part of me wishes we had it in us to be his forever family.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

That's really beautiful, making the scrapbook for him. You sound like you gave him a wonderful home and he will now go on to have a forever home with fond memories of his time with you guys. You did all you could for him and he will be able to look back on his time with you as a positive experience. It's sad that some kids are so "damaged" by their biological family. :(