Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Non Baby Moon

We are heading to southern Maine tomorrow for a full week. Of course, as in most of our trips, the majority of it will be a business trip for Mary. As part of the study she's doing, she'll be sampling on the coast.

Mary keeps calling it a "baby boon". I had mentioned I wanted to do a "baby moon" (note the word moon and not boon, kind of like a honey moon). Anywho, I thought we'd have one last trip that was kid free. I had started planning something before we got the go ahead to adopt Cameron. Since I didn't think we'd be adopting him, a kid free vacation would have been possible before the baby arrived. Needless to say, we're stuck in the north pole with no family to watch the kid.

So I've come to the conclusion that there will be no baby moon. But then there's Mary who likes to call everything a baby boon (Mary often mixes up words and then refuses to change them as part of trying to annoy me). I've tried to emphasize to Mary that this is no where near a baby moon since baby moons aren't business trips and they also don't include me being alone with the kid for 4 out of the 7 days ;-) The topper, of course, we're renting a place that has a kitchen. Hopefully we'll go out to dinner more than a few times but for the most part I will be doing my usual duties of cleaning and cooking. Sometimes my lesbian marriage is not the same one I dreamed of. And I've definitely come to the conclusion that there will be no actual vacations (like full on vacation where I have no obligations) until after the kids are grown. It's just part of having children, there are upsides and there are downsides.

On a positive note, I am definitely looking forward to a change of scenery and at least getting a few hours south. It's amazing the temperature difference just between southern Maine and here. Plus, I way prefer southern Maine to the area we live in. I'm also going to be spending one of the days with my friend M so it will definitely be nice to have some social contact.

On a side note. The showing today went well. Apparently, our house is on their short list so they are coming back tomorrow for a second look...eeks! I hope something comes through. :-)

1 comment:

Lannette said...

I hope you guys have a great trip Candice. Also hope that Mary spells you a bit so you can get some well deserved rest.