Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pre-School from Hell

Yesterday I brought Cameron to a "play date". Some moms and kids from his pre-school were going to be at a local park. Since Cameron is very shy, I thought it would be nice for him to meet some of his classmates before school starts. He's also been in desperate need of kids to play with. However, it was quite awkward. First, it was hard to find who was actually from his pre-school and there were some kids that had gone to the school but were now going on to kindergarten. It was a bit confusing and weird to say the lest. Cameron also kicked what I think was one of his future classmates. Yay.

We're also already overwhelmed with the pre-school and it hasn't even started. It's a co-op which we weren't really into but beggars can't be choosers - basically, it was the only place that seemed kosher to a 2 mom family and had availability. So with the co-op, one of us has to work there twice/month. Basically, we act as the second teacher on those days. Also, on those days we have to send in snack for all the kids.

So whatever, we justified this as it being nice to be involved with Cameron's school. Afterall, though we weren't obligated, we liked getting involved with his previous school.

Then we signed up and were sent a packet with a list of jobs. Jobs you say? Oh yes, apparently I am secretary and have to take notes at the MONTHLY board meetings and send them out to everyone. Then we got notification that we have to participate in the school clean up the weekend before school begins. If this wasn't enough, they also notified us that we'd have to solely clean the school on certain weekends (apparently, this alternates between all the families). Since Mary has agreed to do the teaching duties (since I have the baby at home), she thinks I should be the cleaner. Umm, I already have to keep our rather large house clean so I'm not super into sacrficing weekends to clean my kid's school.

If this all wasn't enough, they like to take "field trips" once/month and want parents to be available to drive groups of children to them. I just hope that the school is not going to be as much work as it seems.

2 comments:

Happy said...

Hmmm, I don't know. Some parts sound really nice, but I'm with you on the cleaning part. That's how I always feel when I have to clean up after a meeting at work.

Stacey said...

It sounds like a lot of work to me. Are co-op schools common there? Never heard of that here...