Sunday, August 26, 2007

the drama of fostering continues...

Friday night, Mary & I enjoyed some time at the Folk Festival (FF). Before hand, we had "re-tried" the sushi place here in town. It was much better than we remembered so that was especially good.

Saturday was spent playing in our dirt pile. Yes, we have an extra large dirt pile. All summer, we tried to buy dirt - yes, when you own a house you have to buy dirt. When we failed, we asked one of the construction sites nearby if we could have some dirt. Well, a decent amount of time has gone by so we thought we weren't going to get any dirt. Then Thursday, they drop off 2 extremely large truck fulls of dirt. Ummm, we don't need this much dirt especially so late in the season when grass probably won't grow. Needless to say, the kids are obsessed with it. The kids & Mary were home before me on Thursday so when I returned, I was greeted by a VERY dirty C1 & C2 with C1 declaring "we got a prize - dirt!".

Anywho, Saturday afternoon we met up with our friends T, P, and their son Q (that's Todd, Pam, & Quinton) at the FF. There's an extreme number of people at the FF - prob more than the entire population of our town. Well, we always have this fear in the back our mind whenever we go to local events or places that we'll run into relatives of C1 & C2. To avoid this we usually don't do local things, we even go to a McDonald's that's 20 minutes away rather than the one that's 5 minutes away. We avoided the fair last month but decided we'd do the FF since there's SO many people and it's the one really fun thing that comes to town.

The FF is free so they have volunteers collecting donations. We give a donation to one of the volunteers and she gives us & the kids stickers. I did a lil' "hmmm" in my mind when she referred to C2 by name as she was giving him a sticker but I thought she must have heard me say it. Then she asked to take a picture of them, we said "sure" figuring it was for festival related stuff. Meanwhile the kids aren't allowed to be in any publications so we should have said no. I was more confused when I then hear her call C1 by name. Then she says to me, "the reason I know their names is I'm their great aunt D". oy vey! Anywho, she was nice and we did the nod & smile thing & it turns out she lives in Florida anways. We did take her email address and promised to send her some pictures. But WTF, it was just typical of how overwhelmed with their extended family we are. We're also kind of ticked that nobody stepped up to the plate to try to take care of them (though they were with 2-3 sets of different relatives before coming to us) yet all of them still want to see them on a regular basis or rather at their convenience.

Needless to say, this reinstated yet another reason I think of not adopting them. We've already decided that we have to move since their family lives in the same town we live and they all know where we live. *scary* I believe M is using this as some sort of collateral or bribery since she knows that I want to move to a different town anyways esp the town that she has considered even though she wouldn't have given it a second thought before the boys.

Oh well, my "free" morning is about to end.

No comments: